Monday 26 August 2013

Chickens, Gardening, and Contentment..

Some times life is so busy you dont have time to stop and dwell.. you just LIVE and its such a nice place to be right now.. LIVING. .. LOVING... LEARNING..

Chickens...


I had the privilege of attending a Keeping Backyard Chickens workshop and it was the best motivator for starting our own backyard Egg Factory.. now known as Chooktopia



This is the Entry to Chooktopia


The residents of Chooktopia

Josie (she is the Queen), Valerie (second in charge) Wilma, Maude(sometimes called Julia) and Orphan Annie



My Chicken Coop war wound.. bending over and whacking my head on the coop entry flap door was not the smartest thing I have done.. I saw stars and the bruise has lasted a week so far!


I have learned so much from my chickens.  I appreciate them so much and my passion for eating fresh organic eggs is now a dream fulfilled   The energy those chickens spend on producing me these protein packs is amazing.. I have given them the best living space I can and they are in chooky heaven aka Chooktopia.

I have a table and chairs just near the chook run and watch them. They are so interesting to watch.. and its kind of therapeutic too.




This month I took the boys on a daytrip with www.loganfoodgardeners.org to 
Zaytuna Permaculture Institute Research Farm.  
We had a great day and learned so much more about sustainable living and permaculture.


On the Gardening front....


Locals were cutting down trees so Tom asked the lumberjacks for some of their mulch.  They turned up in a massive mulch truck and dumped Mulch Mountain on our front garden.  We now no longer have ANY grass in the front or back.. its all a thick 10cm+ layer of mulchy goodness!




My Trifid Cherry Tomatoes are producing massive amounts of fruit..
 I'm going to make a Relish.. 




I did some gardening with my sons Prep class at school.. We made a mini veg garden. 



I am very excited to be getting into the world of UpCycling in my garden and have created a vertical garden out of milk bottles.  Currently I have strawberries and Rocket Lettuce .

The plan is to cover this fence with milk bottle pot plants.


I had the privilege also of being a speaker as the Logan Council Environment departments workshop on Sustainable Food Gardening.   I gave a presentation on Upcycling and how gardening does not have to be expensive.  

Contentment....

This month has been a month of quietness in my heart.  Contentment.  I have been super busy between Chicken keeping, gardening, dog sitting my BFF's poodle,  we also have silk worm eggs hatching.  Basically life has been way too busy to be dwelling on negativity.

I am still adding nutritional value to my life, meditating and juicing.  My Gabriel Method learning has become part of my life now.  I am LIVING the Gabriel Method.. 
no longer the student but a participant!

Life in balance is a life well lived!




No comments:

Post a Comment